TipsLearn These Tips On The Double

Learn these on the double to avoid big trouble:

If there's an electrical fire:

  1. Never try to put out the fire with water.
  2. If possible, try to unplug the appliance – but better to play it safe.
  3. Try to put it out using a fire extinguisher designed for electrical fires – or if the fire is too big, leave at once.
  4. Call 911.

If someone is being shocked:

  1. Don't touch the person or anything they are touching.
  2. Avoid using anything to try and remove the electrical source, it could put you in danger.
  3. Turn off the power source from the circuit box.
  4. Call 911.

Welcome to the big do's and don'ts.

Here are a few more powerful pointers that can help you avoid the shock of your life:

Prog_Safety_telephonepole

Prog_Safety_substation
  • Stay away from downed power lines and anything they are touching – they may appear quiet and harmless but could still be live …
  • In fact, it's a good idea just to stay away from power lines altogether, they are bare wires and not insulated. So don't fly a kite near them, don't climb a tree by them, don't … you get the idea.
  • Stay away from substations – if your ball goes over the fence, tell your parents (oh, and have 'em call OG&E).
  • Also, stay away from transformers – and if the locks are missing or broken, tell your parents immediately (and have 'em call OG&E).
  • Don't overload outlets, there's a good reason each one has only two sockets. Try a power strip instead.
  • Water and electricity don't mix, many accidents happen when people use electrical items near water. So never turn on an appliance while you're wet or in the bathtub. In fact, in the bathroom, watch out for hairdryers, cell phone chargers, radios … you get the idea.
  • We told you to look up before you climb, but look down before you or your parents dig too far, because power lines are located underground, too.
  • Never yank an electrical cord from the wall, it can mess up the appliance, the plug and the outlet. And make sure cords are tucked away, so pets can't chew them and you won't take a trip.
POSTED IN:   Electrical Safety  
 
 
 
LATEST TIPS & ADVICE