Seeing the Light
- Turn off lights. Try motion sensors that turn off lights automatically when there's no activity in a room.
- Automatic on/off timers can reduce your energy use and increase security by making a house seem occupied even when people are away.
- Invest in high-quality, energy-efficient lightbulbs. The price of a bulb is only 5%-10% of the total cost, while the other 90%-95% is the cost of electricity it uses. That's why compact fluorescent lightbulbs (CFLs) are an energy-wise choice.
- Keep fixtures and bulbs clean. Dirt is not only unsightly, but can absorb up to 50% of the light.
- Use dimmers to control the amount of light that you need in a room. Dimming lights by half cuts energy consumption by almost half.
For more energy-saving tips and money-saving projects, visit www.oge.com or call an OG&E specialist at 1-800-272-9741.